Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

On Dec 21, 8:14*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Tim
Streater writes

In article
,
harry wrote:

On Dec 21, 5:52*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
*The Natural Philosopher wrote:

harry wrote:

Until one breaks down. Then the interesting inability of trains to
overtake comes into play.

That is where trolley buses come in.
I've never seen a trolley bus overtake another one on the same pair of
wires..

Dickhead

Is it possible in a pinch that the driver could pull down his
pantograph, drive round the stricken trolley-bus, and connect up again?

Trolley buses don't have pantographs because they can drive all over
the road, they have two poles which can be easily unhooked from the
wires.

I know that you soppy date, I just didn't know what the term is (if
there is one), so I used pantograph instead.

Geneva (where I lived for 12 years), has a large number of trolley buses..

Newcastle-upon-Tyne had them in the 60s. Brilliant, so quiet. Not
suitable for one-man operation though for reason already mentioned
--
hugh- Hide quoted text -

They still have them in many places. I last had a ride in Sao Paulo.
Dunno why they got rid of them.