Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

On Dec 21, 10:52*pm, charles wrote:
In article ,
* *Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
*charles wrote:
In article , Tim
Streater wrote:
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

snip drivel

but there's a *reason* that Tesco et al use 44 tonners to resupply
their stores

Because their stores do have rail lines to them.

I'll assume you mean *don't*.

Yes, and in fact most places don't have rail lines to them. So if you
ship stuff by rail that means two changes instead of none.

The idea of shipping containers is that they can be transshipped between
road and rail (& sea) without unloading.

Gosh you mean we ship stuff around in containers, even by rail? [1] I
though the luddite unions so beloved of the likes of drivel saw such
ideas off in the 70s.

There's a large interchange (rail/road) container place near Rugby (M1/A5
junction). *there may be others, but I happened to have passed that one..

And how does that work for refrigerated ones? I assume a lot of the
Tesco/Sainsbury/etc stuff goes in such trucks.

When a refrigerated lorry goes on to a ferry it has the facilty to take
external power. I would imagine that containers have a similar facility.

[1] Irony.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16- Hide quoted text -

Tch. They have a diesal powered refrigeration mounted externally on
international refrigerated containers, haven't you seen them?