searcher1

Default New Craftsman RAS report

Yes the projects are beautiful that I do not doubt, but it dosen't take 1000
dollar tools to do it! It comes from within the person making the items. One
can make a great looking project with Chinese tools as well as American made
tools. Again it the person, and you just don't find that many people who
work for GREAT COMPANIES that take pride in the work that they put forth,
they just want to do their 8 and get out.

Searcher1
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
searcher1 wrote:

They work well for me, I don't have to spend mega money to get
the same enjoyment of project building that others must do for
the sake of "made in USA" because lets face it Americans just
don't show much pride in thier work anymore. Oh don't get me
wrong as I am a true native American, and I love this country
that I fight for with everything that I have. I am just sorry
to say that todays workforce just doesn't show the pride that
my father and his father and so on have. There no longer is
any respect for people in the generations of today. My 85
rattle bucket Chevy fell apart after 3 years but my 84 Toyota
is still banging around after 368,000 miles and have never had
any major work done to it other then the clutch. Go figure, I
think I just started a whole new thread. Forgive me.

I'm not so sure that this is a particularly convincing place to
make that assertion.

Quality has always been around for the finding; and it's always
been a matter of looking in the right places. Sturgeon's Law was
no less true fifty or a hundred or a thousand years ago than it
is today. We've found written evidence that "They don't make 'em
like they usta" in ancient Greek and Babylonian records.

One of the important kinds of discussion that takes place here
addresses this very issue: "Who makes a quality
TS/RAS/BS/OSS/SCMS/Router/compressor/plane/chisel/../vise?" and
"Where can I buy it for a price I can afford?"

Take time to visit some of the web sites put up by some of the
regulars who earn their living doing this stuff. It's proof
positive that quality isn't a thing of the past, nor is pride in
workmanship.

Take time also to browse through the pictures from ABPW at
http://www.delorie.com/wood. Some of the stuff is amateurish and
some of it is so beautiful it brings tears. /All/ of it is there
because whoever built it took pride in their work - so much pride
that they wanted to share their accomplishment with the rest of
us - and to have their work critiqued and/or blessed by others.
Notice that this isn't the behavior you described.

Sturgeon was right. Ninety percent of everything /is/ crud. Don't
let it get you down - set your sights on that /other/ precious
ten percent. Add to it if you can...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA