Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Fridge compressor failing?

"Davej" wrote in message
Frigidaire about ten years old. Compressor sounds fine once it is
running but increasingly it fails to start and has to timeout and
retry. Is there any chance it could it be the starter capacitor or
something fixable? I have now put it on a timer -- one hour on -- one
hour off -- to reduce the number of times it tries to start. Thanks.

My PERSONAL experience with two refrigerators trying to extend their lives
was throwing money down a gopher hole. YMMV. Perhaps it could be something
simple. Bad thing is, if you don't know someone in the industry that will
look at it cheap and give you a straight answer, you have to pay premium
prices, and don't get much of a guarantee. Once they leave, you're standing
naked in the dark. My experiences with different repair services over the
year were 75% negative, and 100% sleazy with regard to the negative ones.

It may be a simple fix, or it may be terminal. Identifying the problem
inexpensively is one thing. Fixing it is another. Some fixes are a timer
or switch, or some other simple inexpensive component. Once you get into
anything that has to do with freon, it's another matter.

You can pick up good units on craigslist for what you might throw away on
this one.

Good Luck.

Steve