Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Ha ha v. funny. Road freight is at least 80% of the total. Our rail
network strains to take the other 20%. To make much difference you'd
have to make that 60/40, that is at least a doubling of the amount of
freight on the railway. Could you kindly indicate which lines you think
it's gonna be on? Why do you think I was suggesting going to four tracks
as much as possible? That way the slow freight could mix with the slow
local trains.

Freight often runs overnight. As you'd see if you catch any late trains
round London. And that could likely be increased.

20% may not sound like much, but putting that 20% on the roads would
cause chaos.

In 1959, I was working in an engineering works which had two wagonloads of
coal dropped by a train on the suburban line that ran past the factory.
One suspects that the decision to build then factory there was because of
the proximity of the line. Anyhow, the line was closed. About 30 tons of
coal then had to be brought in by lorry every day.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16