Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Generators, nat gas: Noise?

On 12/20/2011 8:50 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

On 12/20/2011 6:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Diesel is essentialy the same as #2 home heating oil. Different color, no
road taxes. Cheaper than diesel, also. 275 gallon tank doesn't attract any
attention, everyone thinks it's fuel oil. Suppliers deliver to your tank,
also. Since your generator doesn't go down the road, it doesn't need to pay
the road taxes.

however, diesel fuel does not keep well. I wouldn't want to have that
much on hand if the generator was the only reason i had it.

Diesel fuel keeps very well as long as you take basic precautions such
as adding a biocide and water absorbers. Some of our DCs have 20,000 gal
of diesel in storage with no issues. There is of course some turnover of
the fuel due to weekly exercising of the generators, but it's nowhere
near 20,000 gal.

Our underground military defense complexes have gained a lot of
experience over the years of dealing with large amounts of long
term diesel storage. I am tempted to do a search to see if there
might be unclassified information published about how the below
ground facilities handle diesel storage. When you wrote "DC" is
that for Defense Complex or what? I'd have to search back through
your posts to see if you defined it. ^_^

TDD