Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VFDs & 3 Phase Motors

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:49:46 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

From about 8% to 200% of original rated speed range.

Simply because the bearings in the motor may not take higher
speeds..this for a 1750 RPM motor

A 3600 RPM motor shouldnt be run any faster than about 150% of rated
speed..for the bearings and the armature (might shatter)

I did a speed trial on a 3 phase motor. Documented in an RCM thread:
http://tinyurl.com/6wv35tu

I ran a 1775 rpm motor to 10,700 rpm (360 Hz) without consequence.
Which was disappointing, as I had my camera on it and expected something
dramatic. :-(

Single-sample trial, your mileage may vary, etc, etc.

Bob

What kind? How many horsepower? Very interesting! Details!!!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch