Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Plumpe Dave Plumpe is offline

Default round die sizes: D2? D-what???

My Small Parts (my wife always got a kick out of that name) catalog lists
the 2-56 die as having OD of 13/16". I don't remember where I got my 2-56
die, but it also measures 13/16".
-Dave

--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com
email:
On a bicycle forum somebody asked now to cut spoke threads, which are
#2-56. A quick Google search turns up this die on Amazon, sold by
Smallparts. The die manufacturer is not given-
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Pro.../dp/B000FMYH8Y

Note that the description says {"#2-56 Round Adjustable Three Pronged
Carbon Steel Threading Die, 7/32"" Die Diameter"}

what is that (7/32" die diameter) business in there??? Is that an error in
the description, or is there dies with that small of an OD? A #2 screw is
about .086", and 7/32" is a lot larger than that.... but not a whole lot
larger, I am thinking. ?:|

I know you can get tiny die sizes in 3/4" / 19mm, but I am wondering if
this dinky size really exists.

The smallest round die stock that Smallparts sells is a Union Butterfield
that is designated as a "D2" size.... but I can't find anyplace that tells
what the "D" sizes of these stocks are?