Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for cheap auto-ranging multimeter

On Dec 19, 11:04*am, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:13:36 -0500, Marilyn & Bob

wrote:
You don't need anything autoranging. *Get a $5 harbor freight dvm.
They're also available at frys, home depot, auto parts stores
hardware stores, radio shack sears damn near any store.
But you'll probably have to pay $10 or so for one.

I may not need an autoranging meter for this project, but for $17 why
not get one? The $5-10 meter from HF with shipping will be close to $17.
Is that meter better in any way than the one from Amazon?

Your instincts are better than most of the more experienced posters'
suggestions (some of whom didn't even bother to read that this is not
battery operated). *For $17 you quickly get a product that you can use
for your purposes, be a help in the future and *is easy to use. *Stop
reading these posts and go buy the meter you found on Amazon.

Thanks. I have it on order. Maybe I'll even learn a thing or two.

Just think before you connect the test probes to anything so that you
don't do any damage to yourself. Meters are easily replaced if they
get fried somehow, nont so a person.