Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Recommendations for cheap auto-ranging multimeter

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message
Your instincts are better than most of the more experienced posters'
suggestions (some of whom didn't even bother to read that this is not
battery operated). For $17 you quickly get a product that you can use for
your purposes, be a help in the future and is easy to use. Stop reading
these posts and go buy the meter you found on Amazon.
--
Peace,
bobj

That is my thoughts. Get the one from Amazon. It is not that much money.
Anyone doing any repairs should have a digital meter as there are many for
under $ 20. The ones that are auto ranging take much thinking out of it.
The ones that have ranges, the range is the maximum voltage for that range
and you are measuring less. The Amazon one did seem to have a battery
range. I assume that it will put the battery under a load so that it will
give a good indication of the battery. Many batteries will show the normal
voltage without a load on them.

I have either at home or work many electrical meters. Most are in the $ 100
and way up to over $ 1000 range. But for around the home usage, most any
meter will do.
I also have an under $ 20 meter that often stays in my personal truck just
so I will have one with me.
If I get by Harbor Freight I may jsut pick up one of their under $ 5 meters.
The nearest one is about 30 miles from me and I do not get close to it very
often.