Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Recommendations for cheap auto-ranging multimeter

On 12/18/2011 10:47 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:15:54 -0800, wrote:

Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I am trying to refurbish a 70 year old dollhouse. It was wired for what
I believe to be 2.5 vac 0.3a #14 flashlight bulbs. It was recommended to
me to get a auto-ranging multimeter to see where the break in the line
might be. I'd like to spend about $25 or so.

I found this one on Amazon, which seems to be what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Aut...4254789&sr=8-3

or http://tinyurl.com/78rotkl

I can have it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

If this can't do the job or if there is a better one on Amazon, please
advise. I'd prefer recommendations for Amazon because I can get it in 2
days with Amazon Prime. I'm never sure if the store are out.

Thanks

If you just want to fix the dollhouse, hook wires to a lamp and
trace along the wiring until you lose light. Then fix it.

You don't need anything autoranging. Get a $5 harbor freight dvm.
They're also available at frys, home depot, auto parts stores
hardware stores, radio shack sears damn near any store.
But you'll probably have to pay $10 or so for one.

I may not need an autoranging meter for this project, but for $17 why
not get one? The $5-10 meter from HF with shipping will be close to $17.
Is that meter better in any way than the one from Amazon?

Your instincts are better than most of the more experienced posters'
suggestions (some of whom didn't even bother to read that this is not
battery operated). For $17 you quickly get a product that you can use
for your purposes, be a help in the future and is easy to use. Stop
reading these posts and go buy the meter you found on Amazon.
--
Peace,
bobj