Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Thief Injured Attempting To Steal Copper Wire From Miami School

"Fake ID" wrote in message
In article ,
h wrote:

Ugg, yes, he will win. About 20 years ago a high school drop out broke
into
his old high school (not my school district, thankfully), vandalized the
place to the tune of over $100k, then decided to go up on the roof. The
moron thought it was a good idea to walk across the glass paned roof over
the green house and became paralyzed, surprise, surprise when he fell two
stories and broke his neck. The SOB sued the school district for having an
"attractive nuisance" even though the glass paned roof could only be
reached if you broke into the janitor's stairwell leading to that part of
the roof (for maintenance). He not only didn't do any jail time (due to
his
injuries!) but he received a judgment of $25k per year plus 100% of his
medical expenses for life! Seriously? I'd have thrown the bum in jail for
life. Oh, and he admits he vandalized the school and was "stoned off his
ass" at the time. But none of that saved the school district from footing
some truly astronomical bills for the past 20 years. Glad I'm not one of
those taxpayers!

A judgement or a settlement?
Cases like this result in paying nearly anything in order to avoid a
trial. And insurance typically pays, and sometimes drives, the
settlement. But don't cry for the insurance co execs just yet, they roll
the cost into their actuarial tables and collect it from their policy
holders who pay it from whoever funds them (consumers, taxpayers).

In summary, crime pays.

Judgment. The SOB wanted MILLIONS of $ to settle and the school district was
sure no sane person would give this jerk anything (and they shouldn't have).
The jury awarded only $25K per year plus all medical for life. It was the
medical costs that killed the school district. Sure, the insurance paid, but
their premiums went through the roof!