Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Recommendations for cheap auto-ranging multimeter

On 12/18/2011 10:39 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:33:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 18, 9:15 pm, wrote:
Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I am trying to refurbish a 70 year old dollhouse. It was wired for what
I believe to be 2.5 vac 0.3a #14 flashlight bulbs. It was recommended to
me to get a auto-ranging multimeter to see where the break in the line
might be. I'd like to spend about $25 or so.

I found this one on Amazon, which seems to be what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Aut...ultimeter/dp/B...

orhttp://tinyurl.com/78rotkl

I can have it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

If this can't do the job or if there is a better one on Amazon, please
advise. I'd prefer recommendations for Amazon because I can get it in 2
days with Amazon Prime. I'm never sure if the store are out.

Thanks

If you just want to fix the dollhouse, hook wires to a lamp and
trace along the wiring until you lose light. Then fix it.

You don't need anything autoranging. Get a $5 harbor freight dvm.
They're also available at frys, home depot, auto parts stores
hardware stores, radio shack sears damn near any store.
But you'll probably have to pay $10 or so for one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html
There's a 20% off coupon in the junk mail every week.
They regularly have 'em on sale for $3 or so.

They go pretty quickly, but every now and then they offer the meter
instead of the flashlight as the "freebie" in the circular.

A friend of mine still uses a really old analog meter for the rare
times he needs a meter. As a goof I used my coupon to get the free HF
meter and gave it to him as a gift.

I have another one that I've never opened since I have a good meter
that I use quite often. If the OP wants to pay shipping, I'll send him
the free one. ;-)

Sounds to me like this guy wants to fix the doll house by Christmas.
He dont need any meters for this job. Owning a meter is a good thing
to have, but it's not needed for this project. All that is needed is
a flashlight bulb with 2 wires soldered to it, or in a socket. Then
begin to trace the wires starting at the battery and follow them,
using the test bulb with wires. One of those 12V automotive testers
sold at Walmart and most auto parts stores should work too. it will
be dim, but will show if there is voltage.

As for those who suggest a cheap DVM from HF, not everyone has a HF
store nearby, but everyone has a Walmart and they have them for around
$10, and they can be purchased anytime without paying shipping.

Anyone with any knowledge of electricity should be able to fix some
battery lights in a doll house without any meters. Just look for
broken wires and corroded battery holders, plus burnt out bulbs. It's
a simple battery circuit with 2 wires to each bulb. Not rocket
science.... If there's a switch in the circuit, suspect that as bad
and jump across the contacts.

Even easier, buy a set of LED lights that run on a battery (made for
people's clothing), at Walgreens for around $5 and just put one bulb
in each room with a staple or a glue gun. They are sold with 12 bulbs
or so. That should be about right.

I was thinking that the OP wanted to do a more sensitive restoration,
which I wholeheartedly support...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.