Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Calif says "not so fast" to oil changes

On 12/17/2011 06:28 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 12/17/2011 11:46 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 12/16/2011 8:22 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"The long-held notion that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles
is so
prevalent that California officials have launched a campaign to stop
drivers
from wasting millions of gallons of oil annually because they have their
vehicles serviced too often."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4554184.story

But if California drivers cut way back on oil changes, what will keep
the
storm drains lubricated?

3000 it is here. always has been, always will be. No multi-vis ****
either.

Did you just wake up from a 30 year sleep?

I disagree with his stance on multi-vis oils, but I do think that the
oil change monitor on some newer cars is giving too much credit to the
oils available. If I can hear and feel the difference in the engine
after an oil change, that says to me that significant degradation of the
oil has occurred, to the point where something is out of spec (the
variable valve timing mechanism maybe?) And this in a car where I was
so nervous about the OCIs recommended ('08 Impala) that I've been paying
extra out of my pocket for synthetic oil. FWIW in that car it seems
that the oil life monitor tends to recommend an oil change about every
7500 miles; less in winter where there may be more idling (warming up
engine while scraping ice off windows etc.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel