Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

On Dec 17, 10:34*am, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:43:10 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:16*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
On Dec 16, 6:21*am, "
wrote:

On Dec 9, 11:45*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Finally someone asked the question I had. I've always
been interested in finding STUDS. Why the need to find
nails when you know where the studs are?

Un, because we want to nail into and support stuff on studs, and not into
the nails, and the nails tell us where the studs are?

What do I win?

You can get all sorts of readings from beeping devices that are not a good
thing to shoot a 3" drywall screw into. *Pipes, conduit, live wires, lots of
fun stuff.

He said he's specifically looking for drywall nails. *I've hung lots
of pics,
shelves, brackets, made openings, etc and never went looking for
nails.
I've looked for studs and I've had zero problems as a result. *Imagine
all the hour saved over decades by not looking for those nails.

Also, a magnet for finding nails isn't going to find
the most common wiring, ie Romex. *Seems not many folks are
interested in the nails, because the stud finders I've seen find
exactly that, studs, via ultrasonic, not nails.

BTW, he finally told us his purpose in finding the nails was to
remove the drywall, which seems a wasted effort.
It's cheap enough to buy, not worth the time to try to remove
and salvage it, and even if you do, instead of nice clean new
joints to mud, you're gonna have screwed up ones where it
was previously taped and mudded.

I have puzzled for a very long time, reading two or three very good stud
finders, and finding studs and all types of unidentifiable things behind the
drywall, not being sure of exactly where the STUDS are. *Yet, with a row of
magnets along a line, I can get a mental picture that is 95% accurate as to
where the studs are. *Because they ONLY REACT TO STEEL NAILS OR SCREWS.

You continue to use whatever works for you. *For me, a bunch of little super
magnets will find the studs for me by showing where the nails or screws are.
It is SOOOOOOOO sweet when you drill into something unknown to anchor, and
hit solid wood.

Whatever winds yer clock.

Steve

He clearly said in the first post that he already knows where the
studs are.

True, I said remove the drywall, I did NOT say salvage, or re-use, you
added that.

But is ok, because those that know me would have assumed that. - Hide quoted text -

If you're not trying to salvage the drywall, why do you need to
locate the nails to remove it? * You just punch a hole in it between
studs
and rip it off. *After the drywall is off, you easily pull the nails
with a hammer. *I could have it off in a fraction of the time it's
gonna
take to just locate the nails.

* Makes a LOT more mess though.
If you remove drywall screws (nails are a bit more trouble) and remove
full sheets of trywall there is not much mess involved, compared to
the "mike holmes" method of smashing a fist through the drywall and
pulling it down in chunks.

You got it! Less mess. And I've not found anything more 'fun' to try
and get rid of than drywall dust buried in carpet.