Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Roller shutter garage doors

In message , writes
On 18 Dec,
Bill wrote:

I had one fitted 2 years ago, can't remember how much, certainly more
than £699 though, nearer £1200. The good part about it was that the guy
measured up and had the width cut so that the side guides fitted so that
they were flush with the side of the brick opening. It looks like it
was an original fit rather than an add on. The motor drive and
mechanics all fit neatly above the door on the inside suspended from the
rafters and I have no complaints about it.

The whole job took two guys a morning

Having seen how it was done I would certainly attempt one myself, you
may want to take a close look at a few installs before deciding, but
anyone with reasonable DIY skills and a strong mate, or two should be
OK.

I've fitted two insulated ones, with assistance (2nd for assistant) easily in
a day. Cost was about £1000 for about a single width door. They have both
worked well for the last 2 or 3 years and were well worth the effort.

Mains failure is a pain as the manual winder takes forever.

Best fitted in a pitched roof garage or one where space has been
provided above the door opening.

Key fob *zapper* battery has just needed replacing. 6 years!

The motors are not rated for *industrial* use but adequate for operation
2-3 times per day.

regards

--
Tim Lamb