Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V Brian V is offline

Default Is it possible to use a soldered together nipple to mount a tub downspout?

"TomYoung" wrote in message
Hi all:

I'm facing a situation where no "standard" nipple will work; either
too short or too long. I can make a soldered-together nipple that
would be of the right length, but I'm concerned that the act of
screwing parts together could end up breaking the soldered joints.
So, the question:

"Can you use a soldered custom length nipple to mount a tub
downspout?"

If the answer is "no", are there other approaches to this problem?
Perhaps an escutcheon plate to take up the space left by a too-long
nipple?

Thanks.

Tom Young

Use 2 male thread x sweat adapters and the proper length of copper in
between. You tighten it to the wall with a wrench then the spout gets
tightened via strong hand pressure, you can use a strap wrench to help you
thru the last 1/4 turn or so it needed. There is no need to crazy tighten
it, it is not a pressure connection.

-Brian