Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Knee mill cuts differently going up from going down.

On 12/16/2011 11:53 PM, wrote:
Last night on my little Rockwell 21-100 mill, I was changing the radius on the underside of rifle scope base with a boring head.

As I raised the knee, there was cutting close to me, and then as I lowered the knee there was a new .001" of cutting on the mill side.

Is my vise too heavy? are the knee gibbs loose?
What is going on?

TIA

Oops, I offended a liberal! (good for me!) But, think about the force
vectors involved and visualize what's happening. It's a moving
mechanism and the force, friction and tolerance (slop) aren't the same
as you raise or lower the knee. Think: "Kentucky Windage". In a
perfect mechanism all is equal. (no such thing)