Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default outdoor motion detectors

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:01:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 17, 8:17*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:52:53 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

The one I have now works better than any I've used over the past 15
years or so. Most are crappy. *I don't know what brand it is off hand,
but I bought it at Lowes and it has a "soft start" that extends the
bulb life too. *It has been up for a year and works well in bad
weather, warm weather, etc.

I don't know about distance as I have it aimed to go on at about 25
feet or so, but it will go on from sensing the car and not the driver.

"...but it will go on from sensing the car and not the driver."

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Isn't the driver *in* the
car?

Yes, but the motion detector will not know you are in the car. The
car is a big hunk of cold metal. Many of these sensors are actually
sensing heat, not motion. You can pull up in the car and it will not
go off. Only when the driver gets out of the car, it will sense body
heat and turn the light on.

The one I have now will sense the car, even when I back into the
driveway. It may be sensing the warm exhaust, but in any case, it
works better than my old ones.