Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Knee mill cuts differently going up from going down.

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
This is typical with knee mills--the table wants to "slope" towards the
column by a small amount when there is pressure on the screw and away from
it when the pressure is removed.

And though it might seem counterintuitive, gibs that are too tight usually
tend to exacerbate the behaviour.

I've found several similar gotchas when I try to bore a cylinder on my small
Clausing mill. They can be measured and hopefully corrected or dodged with a
dial indicator and a good precision angle plate.

jsw