Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Aiwa Z-L500 Stereo Tape Deck Eject Issue

wrote in message
Hi Arfa,

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 03:00:57 -0000, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

SNIP

Ah. OK. Well I guess my considerable experience in seeing all models of
Aiwa
for the last 15 years or more, and never having seen a tape deck problem
that I would consider to be down to poor design, must count for little
then.
For what it's worth, I would actually say that the Aiwa twin decks are
amongst the more reliable and better designed 'budget' ones. Did you use
manufacturer's original belts for your replacements ? When the deck grinds
to a halt, is the motor still running ? If the belts are really tight
enough
as you suggest you believe, then if the cam gear is needing excess torque
of
the level you are saying, I would expect this to stall the motor. At the
end
of the day, the deck is easily removed, and easily cycled mechanically by
hand into any of its modes, if you properly understand its sequencing, and
know the right times in the cycle to flick the solenoid lever. If it truly
is jamming up, then the reason should be obvious to a skilled eye.

And if you wouldn't mind, please try to avoid top-posting in newsgroups.
It
is generally considered to be bad practice, and plays havoc with the
thread's timeline ...

I have been in the service field longer than you, and I have serviced
many different brands of cassette decks over the years. I own other
brands of
cassette units (dual decks, etc.) and I don't have problems with them
after
years of use. Note: In the past, I have seen problems with Sony cassette
units too. There is such a thing as "normal" problems after years of
use,
but my Aiwa does not have a "normal" problem after a year of use. I
didn't
use the cassette units "hard". Note: This model is several years old and
I have been using another eternal cassette deck instead.

My original post was to find out if anyone knew if an improved
cassette deck was made for this model.

John

There would not be any improved deck to replace yours. Geoff is probably
correct. If you did not use original Aiwa belts, that is probably your
problem. The Aiwa's are simply more critical for this than you might think.

Mark Z.