dave in fairfax

Default Got a decent vise; what a difference!

Andrew Barss wrote:
Which is not as much tilt as a real paternmaker's vise, like the
Emmert or the clones sold by either Woodcraft or Lee valley.
I checked out the Wilton today, and was put off by the heavily greased bar
that the vise moves in and out on -- seems like it would gunk up the
workpiece.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. The Wiltons were the low end of
the three I mentioned. The vise the OP mentioned is designed
after a patternmakers vise, but expecting it to be an Emmert
equivalent is, huh, excessive. It's made in China for openers.
The Indian vises would probably be a better idea if you could find
one in a patternmaker's style. At least that'll keep you in the
same price range. As for the grease, kerosene will cut it pretty
well and if you have a parts cleaner, it's very easy.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: