Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Under new bill, Americans canbe arrested and taken to Guantánamo Bay

Peter wrote in :

snipped

Han, I normally agree with your comments. Please recognize that in my
comments I've been referring to "war" in the formal, legal definition
in accordance with the text of the Constitution, and not in the more
colloquial sense in which the word has come to be used. I agree that
our military action in Afghanistan is a de facto war, but it not a de
jure war.

I don't give a rat's ass about this war being not a de jure war. You're
legalistically correct, perhaps, but Congress did authorize lethal force
here to "protect" something, most likely. You also should keep in mind
that people, including Americans, have died in this de jure not-a-war, so
some people would take offense to your wording.

Ever since the "police action" in Korea, wars have been fought that aren't
wars according to some definition or another, but still had armies opposong
one another.

--
Best regards
Han