Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Angle Grinder or Huge Bolt Cutter

On 12/14/2011 7:36 PM, Robert Green wrote:
My recent padlock cutting requirement has led me to believe I need to
acquire something a little bigger and faster at cutting through metal.

Which is a more useful tool all around? An electric angle grinder or a 4'
long bolt cutter?

When I was doing a project which required me to "cut" threaded rod, I
used an air powered "cut off" tool. It's held in one hand and frees
the other hand to steady or hold what you are cutting.

In that instance a bolt cutter wouldn't do the job because it would do
more damage to the thread that a re-treading die could cure.

BUT bolt cutters have their place and it isn't just in cutting locks.

If you use chains or are working on a "chain link" fence, or you want to
cut wire cable, "bolt cutters" can do in a few seconds what would take
any rotary tool (angle grinder, cut off tool) minutes to do. Moreover,
there would be no noise, no hot sparks (which CAN set stuff on fire), no
metallic dust residue and no risk of a abrasive wheel flying apart.

If you do buy a bolt cutter buy the biggest ones you can. The smaller
ones are good for concealing but they might be defeated by a good lock.

BTW: A "Saws All" is also a good tool to use to cut "bolts." It
doesn't make as much noise or sparks as an abrasive cutting wheel but
still, usually, can get the job done with the right blade. "They" make
battery powered "Saws All"s now.