Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Under new bill, Americans can be arrested and taken to Guantánamo Bay

Han wrote:
Peter wrote in :

I'm not a lawyer, much less a Constitutional lawyer, but doesn't the
6th Amendment provide the right to a speedy trial? Also, there may
be a violation of Constitutional habeas corpus protections. I
predict legal challenges if this legislation is enacted.

I'm a biochemist, not a lawyer. The danger of this execrable law is
that someone is going to be police, judge, and executioner all at the
same time. That doesn't seem constitutional. I have no objection to
a /real/ terrorist being handed over to the military for safekeeping,
but I'd like a jury of /MY/ peers to help the police and prosecutor
in determining whether that person is a /real/ terrorist, rather than
some bloke shooting of his big mouth to an entrapment agent.

Uh, there is no judge or jury when dealing with unlawful enemy combatants.
They are not criminals. They do not get criminal trials. They do not get the
"rights" provided to criminal defendants.

If the president or his designee anoints someone as an unlawful enemy
combatant, they're toast.