Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Angle Grinder or Huge Bolt Cutter

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:36:32 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

My recent padlock cutting requirement has led me to believe I need to
acquire something a little bigger and faster at cutting through metal.

Which is a more useful tool all around? An electric angle grinder or a

4'
long bolt cutter?

In *my* shop? 5 4" angle grinders [with different wire brushes and
cutters on 4 of them- and a spare in case one breaks. After all,
they are mostly $12 HF specials]

Any problems with them? HF tools have a spotty rep.

Less cost, more use, and takes up about the same amount of room as a
pair of 4' bolt cutters. [I've got a 2' pair.]

I cut my re-rod with a cutoff saw. My brother-in-law, a strapping
young lad with a pair of 5' bolt cutters that weigh 80 pounds or so-
uses the bolt cutter.

Yeowch! No rebar cutting forseen around here. Five footers? The lever is
amazing. Imagine trying to cut through rebar with a 6" diagonal cutter.
(-:

-snip-

One thing that bothers me about bolt cutters is that I seem to recall

from
childhood that some jurisdictions classify them as burglar tools allowed
only in the possession of locksmiths, etc. Anyone ever hear that?

In your shop, or in the back of your truck, they aren't burglar tools.
In your hand as you lurk around the back of the storage lockers-- they
become burglar tools.

Just like that 12" crescent wrench under my seat isn't a dangerous
weapon until I smack you up aside the head with it. Then it
becomes up tot he responding officer to determine if an additional
charge would be appropriate.

There's the rub. "Up to the responding officer." I don't want someone
having a bad day taking it out on me and from time to time that does happen
during traffic stops. Not an issue since I'll be getting the grinder and
NOT carrying it around in my car. No one's come up with any uses for the
bolt cutters that would justify buying them and in fact, have pretty much
said that they're a very infrequently utilized tool. If I had professional
reasons, like Steve or Stormy to carry them, I would, but all I have is big
diagonal cutters that are large enough to clip the main battery cable in
case of an emergency (have had two in my life that required them and only
one time when I had them!).

--
Bobby G.