Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What do you guys know about Decarb of steel?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Oh, I forgot: Wrapping in stainless steel foil is commonly done for
onesies and twosies of alloy steels, but I don't know if it's
effective enough for plain-carbon steel. Maybe.
Ed Huntress

It works for O-1. I smear some Ivory soap on the steel and add charcoal to
the pouch for good measure. The cutting tool comes out light grey after
quenching and cuts relatively hard steel like truck springs with only
minimal grinding or honing.

Tin can steel works pretty well if you don't have the stainless foil. I
leave one end open and cram in charcoal so the tool will shake out easily
into the quench pot.

jsw