Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Radiator reflective foil

On 15/12/2011 20:34, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:56:12 +0000, fred wrote:

In , PeterC
writes
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:13:52 +0000, Moonraker wrote:

Thanks for all the help, the general opinion is that the magnetic stuff
a rip off but it is worth using reflective foil, so I will send my
daughter to B&Q or Wickes for some, as it for her house!

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cons...on/Radiator%20
Foil/d210/sd2738/p26805

or just http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p26805 , the middle bit is
redundant.

Yes, sorry - Dialog has an anti-wrap feature so I tend to be lazy and use
that.

I'm not sure that that one has an insulated backing which in my view is
the only one worth using.

It has a thin layer of PE(?) foam on the back.

I wouldn't consider using anything in this application where the backing
was thin enough to allow it to be sold in rolls or folded like that. The
best I have seen is 3mm and 5mm thick polystyrene foam with foil backing
available in 600mm square and nearly rigid. It will snap if handled
badly and is easily cut to shape with a craft knife.

It is always a compromise between obstructing airflow and minimising
loss through the wall. The rigid stuff is a lot easier to work with too
as it is naturally flat and doesn't want to curl up and can be attached
with a few dabs of decent PVA or wallpaper paste on the back.

B&Q/Wickes have a decent version of it. (Not in rolls)

Regards,
Martin Brown