Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default "hard start" on AC

On 12/9/2011 12:05 PM, Rich Greenberg wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. Unit has been working fine so I am going
to (probably) pass on getting the hard start unit. My house lights do
not dim when the unit starts which I understand is one of the symptoms of
needing the hard start. But just to make sure, I will call the
manufacturer (Rheem).

If you have a digital thermostat, see if there is a start up delay that
can be programmed into it for keeping the compressor from short cycling.
I set them anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. If the power blinks or the AC
stops after reaching its set-point and someone immediately sets the temp
down calling for cooling, the time delay prevents the compressor from
trying to start before systems pressures equalize allowing the
compressor to start under the least load. If you have a mechanical
thermostat, a timer can be added out at the condensing unit inside the
electrical junction box. In rural areas where power go out frequently
during storms, I'll add anti short cycle timers and surge arresters to
the inside and outside units to protect the capacitors and circuit boards.

TDD