Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Under new bill, Americans can be arrested and ta ken to Guantánamo Bay

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

In article ,
Han wrote:

I snipped a lot ... Here in the New York City area there were some
cases that came close to being entrapment and/or encouraging someone
shooting his big mouth off. Too lazy to go look for specifics, OK?
The (perhaps hypothetical) point is that if the President or his
designee says this person is an UEC, there is no way under this law
that we can hear about it - the person just disappears. As I
said,I'm in favor of having the army deal with UEC, but there should
be a public process that designates him/her as such.

I have worked enough investigations to know that in something like
this, yo HAVE to take it seriously. The papers, CongressCritters, and
people on Usenet can say things like this is the gang that couldn't
shoot straight. But one thing I know from personal experience is that
every once in awhile, the idiots screw things up and get it right.
When that happens people die. And the papers, CongressCritters, and
people on Usenet have a fit about how the cops coulda stopped it.

Yes, I do want the cops to catch the bad guys.
But why would that make it impossible to detain the guy(s) following a
public trial, or at least a public determination that he is an UEC? The
guy who wasn't caught in time, but whose bomb did NOT go off in Times
Square, was subjected to public trial and put away. Etc, etc. We don't
need another McCarthy era destroying innocent people (who may or may not
have unpalatable ideas).

Note that the cops catch those idiots (dangerous or just idiotic) who have
contacts with others. They have great difficulty catching lone wolfs.

--
Best regards
Han