Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames Carl Ijames is offline

Default Washer Guide - Home Shop Machinist

Polyethylene is definitely the cheapest choice but will cold flow under
pressure. Besides the PTFE mentioned below, which I've never worked with,
I've had good luck with Nylatron, nylon with molybdenum disulfide filler
(harder and stiffer than PE, no cold flow, machines well).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 3.70...

" fired this volley in news:4a3aa825-
:

My first thought was teflon, but I think a better choice would be
UHMW

Ultra high molecular weight WHAT? You mean, "Polyethylene"?

For lubricity, you might want to use extreme-temperature PTFE. Weird stuff
to cut, but it wears almost forever in a metal bore, and produces about
1/10th the friction coefficient of UHMW-PE.

LLoyd