Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Washer Guide - Home Shop Machinist

On 12/15/2011 3:49 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I just received an email from HSM where one guy improved the accuracy,
runout, deflection of his inexpensive drill press by bolting a snug
fitting washer to the top of his quill that rides inside the column
against the sides.

My first thought was, "Won't that introduce wear to the inside of the
column?" My second was, "Gee that does sound like it work work if you
used a softer sacrificial material fro your washer/spacer."

Not that I am convinced I want to do this to my drill presses, but I you
were to take this approach with the thought that you might want to use
these everyday. Not just once in a while what would you make that washer
out of?
////

I saw that and immediately didn't like it. It seems to me that anything
CAN be fixed right...unless you're in a hurry.