Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a Pedestal Sink = Rocket Science???

On Dec 15, 1:08*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 15, 12:22 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

Awl,

Goodgawd, another project from the Wife, who tore apart a perfectly good
bathroom. Really, a semi-nightmare.

Here's the problem:

First, a pedestal sink sits on a hollow column, with one side "slotted
out"
vertically, into which fits the drain hardware.
The sink itself is then screwed to the wall, so it doesn't tip over.

The problem is access to the drain nuts. Ackshooly, there are lots of
problems, but those are surmontable. Access to these nuts is crazy hard,
bec in this case the pedestal is quite close to the wall, and the p-trap
(or
j trap, or whatever) is buried perty deep into the hollow of the column..

I ackshooly saw an installation of a ped sink on TOH, but they omitted
this
part! And I have other pedestal sinks in the house that I installed, but
with a lot more room.

What I thought was the answer was to drop the sink with its threaded
tailpipe (the part that screws into the sink drain hardware) straight into
the p-trap nut -- and miraculously the sink drain hole and the p-trap hole
line up!!

But because the p-trap opening is below the height of the pipe coming out
of
the wall, wrench access (even hand access) is really a problem.

So now I'm about to get a tail pipe thingy with the swaged end, put that
in
the p-trap, then mount a very short threaded tailpipe to the sink itself,
then drop the sink/stubby tailpipe into the "extended p-trap", where at
least the final nut tightening will be semi-accessible.

Am I missing something, ito tools, hardware, plumbing?
I don't do plumbing everyday, but I've had my concentrated share, incl.
sweating hundreds of feet of 3 and 4" copper water line, boiler
installations, sinks, gas lines, stoves, washers, etc, and never saw
something that was almost *geometrically impossible* to do. All for the
want, apparently, of some aesthetic flair.

I also thought of propping the sink up on stilts with no pedestal,
plumbing
the drain, THEN sliding the pedestal in place.
Heh, nice idear, but because of lips, ledges on the basin bottom, you'd
wind
up tearing apart the drain plumbing to finagle the pedestal in.

I also thought of leaving the drain assembly off the sink entirely, plumb
all the drain tube beneath first, then drop the sink on top of that, and
assemble the flange ditty (that gets puttied in to the sink basin) LAST --
but that doesn't seem too viable.

Finally, god help me if I ever have to mechanically clean this trap......
hooboy....

Thoughts? Experiences?
--
EA

Just looked at mine and the side of the P trap that connects
to the waste line is easily accessible. *With mine, you'd put
the P trap onto the sink, slide it into place, then connect
the other side of the P trap using the P trap nut.

That is a very insightful solution!! *It solves the fundamental
"geometry/topology" problem of the installation.

BUT, the p-trap that is there is the old kind, that threads on, like a
fitting.
I'd have to muck around quite a bit more, to employ this solution, and I
think I can bull my way through with a vertical extension pc as above, as
I'm almost done.

Hopefully I can get the tailpipe nuts etc tight enough for zero leaks, but
if not, I will proly have to consider your solution.
Also, if there is ever a blockage later on, I'll proly change the p-trap
then.
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't be using an old P trap with a new sink. Especially
if it's metal.