Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Angle Grinder or Huge Bolt Cutter

My recent padlock cutting requirement has led me to believe I need to
acquire something a little bigger and faster at cutting through metal.

Which is a more useful tool all around? An electric angle grinder or a 4'
long bolt cutter?

P.S. Now that I have gone from Basic to Premium cable, I've been watching
all the variations of storage locker auction shows that are on (to my wife's
great consternation - "We're NOT going to storage auctions!"). I see just
about an equal amount of the above tools to pop the lock. Also learned that
it's very useful to use Visegrips to lock the hasp to the shackle before
cutting to keep the blade from jumping and shattering.

Another thing I learned is that most padlocks are about as resistant to an
angle grinder as balsa wood to a file. One lock that had a unique shackle
shroud took about 5 seconds longer to cut through, but it the end it all
clattered to the floor. Also learned not to touch anything recently cut by
a large blade on a grinder with a coffee-can sized motor. Dat sucker's hot.
(And yet people seemed so transfixed by how fast the lock was cut they try
to pick up the pieces anyway).

One thing that bothers me about bolt cutters is that I seem to recall from
childhood that some jurisdictions classify them as burglar tools allowed
only in the possession of locksmiths, etc. Anyone ever hear that?

--
Bobby G.