Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lumberwaiter

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:17:18 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I bought and used the shorter, bed-mounted model and it worked well
the few times I actually used it. It cost $80 on sale. What I can't
understand is the price from some of the US mfgrs. Look at these:
http://www.hoistsdirect.com/thern_cr...#series%205122
How can they condone $700-$4000 prices on half tone cranes when HF
sells theirs for $159 or less? I don't understand it! The $700 model
is apparently their version of the inexpensive HF crane.

The HF type pickup truck crane (mine is from Homier) is a crude, unreliable
POS until you rework it. The worn-out American hydraulics I bought for
diddly at auctions and had rebuilt are still better than new HF stuff. But I
can't suggest an industrial auction treasure hunt as a practical solution.

These drop onto the top of an adequately strong column or post and are
light
enough to lift off and store elsewhere between uses.

I doubt that'd happen unless it was in a high-theft area, as most
people would either let them sit as-is or cover them with a tarp.
(n=1 orbit and all that)

Waste of a good tarp. Also I wouldn't want to make excuses for the ugly
thing for my non-engineer friends, especially the urban and LEO types who
see every unfamiliar mechanical device as an instrument of mayhem.

For a sight gag you could top the column with a hefty wooden crossbar marked
with vulture claw scratches, with a rusty chain attached and a BIG food
bowl.

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...Guttenberg.htm
Eagles, vultures and hawks lined the guardrail on the road up and perched
wherever they wanted all over the grounds. I can't imagine that happening in
America.

jsw