Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Flooring for combined laundry / living area?

1950's rancher. Sometime in its past, the carport was enclosed to create
a combination den and laundry area. The laundry area was separated by
two half walls with wooden spindles to the ceiling. (And the world's
semi-ugliest navy blue carpet - some of you may remember this is the
house with the rose colored carpet and the pinkish brown cement floor in
the "Florida room").

I'm in the process of having a laundry closet built - typical bi-fold
door affair, and the half walls removed. I have to replace the carpet
(hurray!) and am not sure what to use? I'd figured on that vinyl product
that looks like stone. Then at HD the other day, I saw some sort of
laminate pergo type stuff, with a notation that said it was good for use
in wet areas like the laundry. When I mentioned this to my contractor,
he said laminate doesn't do well when wet.

Any suggestions? There is a wooden layer under the carpet, and I assume
concrete from the carport under that. If this was strictly a laundry
room, I wouldn't care too much about appearance, but it will also be a
living area that happens to have a laundry closet in the far corner, and
I care because of resale. It's also the first area people see if they
come in through the driveway door. Additional info: two shedding dogs
and their crates will be in the area, so durability and ease of cleaning
is important.

Thanks!