Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

On Dec 13, 10:22*am, eric wrote:
Hi,

Got quite a problem here because I'm moving out of my dorm in 2 days'
time, and I need to change my ceiling light bulb before then
(otherwise they'll impose some ridiculous penalty charge on me).

Anyways, here's how my domed ceiling lamp looks like:http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2015/lampfv.jpg

As you can see, there are no screws whatsoever. I've googled quite a
few places, and tried some of the proposed solutions such as:
1) Twisting the dome (with my hands)
2) Pushing up on the dome, then twisting it, or rocking it like crazy
while twisting it with maximum strength
3) Pulling it down (although this is not quite possible since there is
nowhere to hold the dome)

Nothing worked.
I don't have any tools with me, and it'll be hard to find one at short
notice.

Anyone has any other good ideas?
Thanks so much for looking!

Eric

@Eric:

*EPIC FAIL*

Is there some reason why you did not report the burnt out lamp
to the facilities department at your college/university when the
lamp ceased functioning ?

Even if you somehow figure out how to open that fixture, you will
not have a lamp available to you which will fit the base you will
find inside of it -- that fixture will have some sort of keyed/pinned
commercial grade CFL inside of it, not a standard lamp socket...

If some fine were to be imposed on you it is justified, you should
have reported the non-functional light when it stopped working so
it could be repaired in a timely manner rather than as a rush job
during the holiday break so it is ready for the next occupant of
that dorm room...

The college can not expect nor demand that you supply special
light bulbs for its installed fixtures which are not your property...
If the light fixture is undamaged you can not be legally charged
because the lamp is burnt out, that is normal wear and tear and
lamps do not last forever...

Definitely leave it alone and do not try to open it/tamper with it
in any way, just report it to the person who does your check out
that it recently stopped working but you were so busy packing
to leave that making a maintenance request just slipped your
mind...

~~ Evan