Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Do CD cleaning discs actually clean? How?

A friend bought an old used SONY Radio/CD/Cassette.

When he puts a CD in, it displays NO DISC, and ejects the CD.

He thinks it's dirty, and I'm in favor of cleaning things, and I even
have a CD Cleaning Disk, which I got for a dollar at a hamfest, have
never used, but have long wondered about.

a) If the CD cleaning disk doesn't touch the laser or anything else,
how can it clean anything????

b) Is there much chance using it will get the drive to accept and play
the CD?

P.S. The radio works well, AM and FM, and one of the 2 cassettes
plays, mabye too slow, but he was told they have belt drives and I can
replace the belts. There is an electronics store here that sells
pretty much all sizes .