Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default 31 Things You'll Never Hear a Texan Say...

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 00:56:57 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:40:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Do you pay to have your lawn mowed, as BobR did?
Check this year's expense for that, which debits your net worth.
Fire your mower and do it yourself next year.
Then check at the end of next season for that debit.
It's gone! And you net worth increased by what's no longer debited.

There's the other flaw. Your net worth didn't increase. It just didn't
decrease. Very important point. You saved money you already had but you
didn't earn any new money. That's savings, not earnings. By definition.
You can argue all day that savings and earnings are the same, just as you
could argue that ground and neutral are the same. The outcome will still be
the same. They are NOT equal.

Never argued about savings/earnings definitions.
Except to say earnings = (income - expense).
Never got my panties in a wad because BobR said he made $35.
Accept the above formula or not. Doesn't matter regarding net worth.

But at least somebody finally admitted that expense decreases net
worth. Like pulling teeth here.
Now do as I said and cancel your lawn service expense, as BobR did.
If all else stays equal, and you have an income stream, as most
everybody has, what happens to your net worth in 6 months?
You don't have to reply. Everybody already knows the answer.
Except for one other person now.
You'll find no flaw in plus and minus.

BTW, I read your entire post, giving it respect, and responded to many
points you made,
But except for the above it was all irrelevant to what BobR and I said
about coming out ahead by doing some work instead of paying somebody
else.
So I just deleted it.
Even my Navy story about what we called slush funds.
The important part is above, your admission that expense decreases net
worth.
Glad at least one of you is honest enough to admit that.
Now do the exercise I gave with your lawn mowing costs to find the
increase.

Given your obvious spirit, I don't expect you to be humbled by your
admission that you've seen the light. You'll shake it off.
But to aid you in that direction I'll note here my correcting response
to your point about others only agreeing with you two.
Nobody has agreed with you two.
Nobody much gives a **** about this.
Until your admission above, everybody but two people knew that cutting
expense will increase net worth, all else equal.
One was you, and now there's only one who thinks otherwise.
So it's me, you, BobR and everybody else against the holdout.
It's your task now to convince him.
I'm a bit fatigued from taking you down.
Beware of his razzle-dazzle footwork.
Beware of him tossing lawn mowing indigents in your path.
Just be patient until he is flat-footed, then throw a left uppercut
plus, followed by a right cross minus.
He'll crumple to the mat.
Just as you did when you came off your toes above.
Unless he does this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXY9TuuwyL8&feature=fvst

--Vic