Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default contact cement

On Dec 13, 2:22*pm, "Baron" wrote:
wrote in message

need to re-glue formica edge of old bathroom vanity. The strip is about 6'
long, and about 2' of one end has come loose. how do I repair? should i
pull
the whole strip off and re-glue or just glue the portion that has come
loose? *how do i remove old contact cement?

* * I have not had good luck in regluing veneer or plastic laminate with
contact cement unless I was able to get all the old glue off and had a
really good way to clamp the veneer into position such that pressure was
applied over the whole surface. *I have had better success in regluing with
epoxy. *Try using quick-set epoxy and you won't have to worry as much about
clamping.

* * To remove the old glue, try using a hydrocarbon solvent like mineral
spirits and a lot of disposable cloths.

Good Luck.

..."a really good way to clamp the veneer into position such that
pressure was applied over the whole surface."

I have often used the "reverse" of clamping to hold things in place.

If I can't get a clamp around something, I'll make a long T out some 2
x 4's and wedge one end against a wall or some other solid object to
apply pressure where I need it.

For example, I was using some silicon adhesive to install some vinyl
base molding and one section kept bowing out. I made a T, jammed it
against the toilet and left it in place until the adhesive dried.

I've used the same method to hold a form against a concrete foundation
wall so I could pour a repair patch in my garage, jamming the T
against the opposite wall.