Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight electronic calipers warning

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:42:55 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Hul Tytus wrote:
alt.machines.cnc, rec.crafts.metalworking
Harbor Freight electronic calipers warning

Three recently bought electronic calipers from Harbor Freight turn
themselves off after a few minutes of inactivity. Some turn on again if moved
(12 in version), the others (8 in version) need be manually restarted. The 8
in. one shows zero when turned on& the 12 in restarts with some of the same
numbers but not all. bleep, bleep, bleep. Anyone zeroing calipers on a
reference and expecting that to hold longer than a minute or two need find a
source other than Harbor Freight.

Also beware that HF digital calipers tend to be very
susceptible to RFI. If I put my cheapo plastic
calipers next to a fluorescent fixture, they go all
wonky until placed well away.

Prolly the plastic conducting sunspot activity.

-- Sir Winston Churchill