Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul D Smith Paul D Smith is offline

Default Hand held vacuum

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I fancy a decent hand held vacuum for doing the carpeted stairs here - but
it must be as powerful as my existing Panasonic upright when using the
hose. Purely for convenience - lugging the Panasonic around on the stairs
is a pain.

I've seen the Dysons - but I'd be quite happy with a mains one since I
have plenty sockets. And it's a big big price for such a basic device.

Any recommendations?

Firstly, I recently replaced a Panasonic upright (admitedly an old one) with
a Miele cylinder - what a difference!

But your question, have you considered just extending the hose? Our local
market has a guy who sells hose "by the foot" so what I did was purchase an
additional replacement Panasonic hose (which was short) plus a length of
hose and put the "short hose" fittings on the end of the long hose and
voila - leave the Panny at the bottom of the stairs whilst I cleaned away at
the end of the long hose.

The Miele hose is just long enough to not need this trick, but I'd be
tempted to take this route.

Paul DS.