Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default the lie of rapid NiMH self-discharge

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:20:52 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

For example, here are some curves I ran for an Energizer 2300ma-hr
cell:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/NiMH/Energizer-NiMH-2300.jpg
and for an Duracell 2050ma-hr cell:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/NiMH/Duracelll-NiMH-2050.jpg
There were brand new cells used to test the assertion that NiMH cells
need to be charge cycled a few times before they reach full capacity.
Basically, that's true.

Hmmm... I haven't done anything with the batteries I used for this
test since May 29, 2011. They've just been sitting on the shelf. I
recall recharging them after I was done with the test. I'll run the
same 1C discharge test again in a few days and see how much capacity
is left after 7 months. This should be interesting. 1C is a heavy
load, but does yield fast results.

Note: I don't have phone or DSL at my house at this time and have
dragged my home computah to my office. This test will need to wait
until AT&T puts fixes things. Patience.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#