Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default the lie of rapid NiMH self-discharge

"Ian Field" wrote in
:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The belief that NiMH cells rapidly self-discharge is utter
malarkey. Where it came from, I don't know.

You seem to be drawing a sweeping conclusion based on one data
point. Not always a reliable approach?

It's not the only data point. I've never seen any NiMH cell "rapidly"
self-discharge. At least, not over a period of a month or two, which
is the
general claim.

The local outlet of the Lidl store chain sometimes has NiMh cells at a
very tempting price so I bought loads - unfortunately they're no good
for the majority of occasional use items or clocks because they need
tediously frequent recharging.

As someone else pointed out there are advanced chemistry types - but
more expensive and harder to find.

I bought a 4 pack of Eveready NiMH cells for my hommade 2 watt bicycle
headlight,it outputs 200 lumens for .65A draw,and I go a long time(months)
before having to recharge,unless I use the light heavily.Of course,my
design does not draw any current when OFF.

some items have a draw even when not in use.
like my low cost Polaroid digital camera.

"Pre-charged" NiMH cells have a lower self-discharge rate,but they don't
seem to be all that more expennsive than regular NiMH.
they are slightly lower in mAH capacity.(2100mAH vs 2300mAH)

I'd ask the OP how many flashes or shots he got from his stored NiMH cells
before they needed recharge.
seems to me that 1.2V is pretty much "discharged" for NiMH cells.
ISTR that 1.1V is the low limit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik