Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:
I've gone to making plastic covers for all my IR remote controls (from
freezer bag sections).

Most of the time my remotes would stay clean, except for dust and small
debris from laying on the floor or table.
A very long time ago, I mastered the use of a napkin, and when I'm
eating while watching a movie I'm not constantly transferring food
residue from fingers to remote.

A 'napkin' you say?
I shall have to Google that. Sounds useful.

(...)

Remotes of years ago would often get slimey from the inside.. apparently
it was the formula of the rubbery vinyl used for the buttons causing
some compound to ooze out of the material. I haven't seen that type of
contamination for a number of years.

My friends at LG used to ship prototypes with feet
made of recycled tires and sewage.
They would mark any surface they were placed upon.

Nasty.

For many tasks, my go-to solvents are denatured alcohol or lacquer
thinner/acetone when the material can tolerate it.

If you can get it, naphtha is a miracle worker.
It dissolves most petrochemicals and organics very
quickly, without damage to plastics and without
water or other residue.

'Only thing it cannot remove efficiently is dried
food spatter. For that, this stuff is excellent:
http://www.tilex.com/mold-and-mildew-remover/

It makes the front of my microwave look brand
new with just a couple swipes.

--Winston