Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Alternative Battery LR44

I've gone to making plastic covers for all my IR remote controls (from
freezer bag sections).

Most of the time my remotes would stay clean, except for dust and small
debris from laying on the floor or table.
A very long time ago, I mastered the use of a napkin, and when I'm eating
while watching a movie I'm not constantly transferring food residue from
fingers to remote.
Some folks I've known, haven't adapted to that behaviorial modification, and
their remotes essentially die from filth.

One condition which causes button presses to require more 'n more pressure,
even when they're kept clean, is that the face of the carbon pads become
shiney.
I used to scuff the pads just lightly enough to remove the shine, and they
generally work fine (one of those pen-type fiberglas strands/bristles
brushes, or a small strip of 400-600 grit abrasive paper).

My remotes have essentially been maintenance-free since I've been making
covers for them (ounce of prevention sorta thing).

Remotes of years ago would often get slimey from the inside.. apparently it
was the formula of the rubbery vinyl used for the buttons causing some
compound to ooze out of the material. I haven't seen that type of
contamination for a number of years.

For many tasks, my go-to solvents are denatured alcohol or lacquer
thinner/acetone when the material can tolerate it.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message

I haven't experienced 'worn out' contacts yet.
Gungy contacts, yes.

A little scrub with naphtha on a cotton cloth restores
operation muy pronto. Snap it back together and I'm
good to go for years of reliable use.

--Winston