Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default OT. Sim for 93 year old with sporadic use. THANK YOU

In article op.v6d4joovgtk8fg@admin-pc, lid
says...

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:17:56 -0000, Hugh - Was Invisible
wrote:

Hi All. Off topic but there is so much knowledge here ....

93 year old Mum goes in to hospital on Sunday. Sim free mobile (Doro
332) is on its way.

Mum will only want a sim for calls. Will have moderate use whilst in
hospital for a few days and then be used only for emergencies.

I am having a lot of difficulty finding out how long credit and sim
lasts if unused.

Anyone got any recommendations please?

Hospital has reception problems with t-mobile and orange but 02 and
Vodafone based networks are OK

TIA for any replies.

Many thanks for all your ideas and advice. Incredible place this.

I need to be able to pick up the sim in the very near future so will get
one I can physically collect.

Tescos are being difficult about their Light tariff and the 3 for 1 top
ups on the other tariff only last a month.

Giff Gaff and some of the other cheap ones with strange names might be a
bit much for Mum.

The Doro is not 3G so 3 is out.

ASDA is ahead by a nose at the moment. Can pay £10 for a 200 min call
bundle that should last her few days in hospital. After that normal top
ups do not expire providing 1 call is made every 3 months. If I keep
reminding her to charge it hopefully she will be able to call a cab when
she walks too far and can't get back home.

ASDA's normal calls are 10p per min and the Doro 332 allegedly has up to
660 hours standby or 240 mins talk time. Just a little more than my HTC
Desire but then again I will be using that as a sat nav to get Mum to
hospital 2 hours drive from here.

Quite a lot of posts for a thread with no reference (yet) to angle
grinders, WD40 etc and the usual suspects not hurling abuse at each other.

Lycamobile is only 5p/min to UK landlines, free SIM, £2 credit for
registering SIM, etc.

For a company that appears to concentrate on the overseas call market,
they're consistently the cheapest for UK calls that I've come across.

--

Terry