Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dan Coby Dan Coby is offline

Default Calling all math wizards...

On 12/11/2011 10:32 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
With narrower segments (i.e. a small difference between IR and OR) we have
to make sure that when we get away from the joints that we still have
enough width to get the desired outside radius. The first set of equations
guarantees that.

A more accurate analysis would say the there are situations in which each
set of equations is better to be used. However, unless you indicate a
burning need, I am not going to bother to determine the cross over
criteria.

What you've provided is great. The amount of wood wasted using the least optimal formula is pretty negligible as it is so no need to optimize further. That should give me enough to
play with quite handily. I assume that any modern spreadsheet ought to have sin, and cosine type functions so I should be able to plug in the values w/o much trouble.

Thanks much Dan! Appreciate the input...

...Kevin

You are welcome.

I did work out the criteria for when you need to use the first set of
equations.

If e*cos(theta) b then use the first of equations otherwise use the
second set of equations.

Dan