Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default fire alarm system

On Dec 12, 5:54*am, Frank Thompson wrote:
I've read that fire alarm systems need to be replaced on ten year
intervals. *I was wondering if all components need to be replaced in
my wireless system. The system includes smoke detection as well
sending alarm to local fire dept.
Included are smoke detector/transmitter, keyboard, and panel. *The
system is 12 years old. My initial thought was to replace all the
detector transmitters now. *Over the past year two of the detector/
transmitters (I have 4) have malfunctioned. *Should I replace the
other components?

Typically the recommendation is for the heads themselves, as they can
degrade with age, especially the ionization type ones as they rely on
a small amount of radioactive material (Americium if I am not
mistaken.) But whether or not to replace the rest of the system
really depends on whether it is obsolete or not, e.g. if a component
were to fail, would you be able to buy replacement parts quickly and
easily?

Sadly, this is kind of a weasel answer, but my response is "it depends
- ask your dealer."

Finally, keep in mind that current code likely requires more than four
detectors unless you have a very small house, and also would require
that those detectors be hardwired with battery backup and
interconnected. Don't quote me on this because I'm going off memory
(in other words, do your research) but I believe that you are required
to have at a minimum one detector per floor, and then also one
immediately outside and one inside each sleeping room. Basically you
would rough in an octagon box at each location, and connect them all
with 14/3 (or 12/3 if you are using a 20A circuit) and then at the
location closest to your panel - I'm ASSuming that this is really a
residential security panel with FA capabilities - use a detector in
that location only with a relay base and tie the relay contact to a
hardwired zone on your panel and program that zone for "fire
alarm." (the last part is not required by code, but you might as well
use the capabilities of your system.) You don't *have* to do this -
in most places there is no requirement to bring an existing structure
up to current code unless you're remodeling - but I'm just throwing it
out there because it might prove to be a selling feature down the
road.

good luck,

nate