Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Commercial refrigeration question

On 12/12/2011 7:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've had a few moments when the screws that hold the fan bracket are rotted
and won't come out. In that case, I take a hammer and slotted screw driver,
and knock the aluminum back off. Spray some cleaner (brake cleaner or carb
cleaner) to flush the bearing, and then reoil. It's totally crude, but it
delays having to swap out the box.

Been meaning to buy a yellow ink pen like the junk yards do, and date the
motors when I install them.

You don't have to knock the back off, the little hole and some turbine
oil has always worked for me. You don't have to use solvents, the
turbine oil is light enough to penetrate the bearing and extend the life
of the motor. The felt in the reservoir soaks oil right up and will hold
it without leaking unless the seal on the cap is damaged
and the drilled oil hole is not sealed.

TDD